Data Analytics: From Collection to Visualization | Strata Data & AI Superstream Series
AUGUST 25, 9:00AM–1:00PM PT | 12:00PM–4:00PM ET | 5:00PM–9:00PM UTC/GMT
Michelle Smith and Alistair Croll: Introduction (5 minutes) – 9:00am PT | 12:00pm ET | 5:00pm UTC/GMT
- Michelle Smith and Alistair Croll welcome you to the Data Analytics edition of the O’Reilly Strata Data & AI Superstream.
Galen Silvestri: Visualize Operational Data, Analytics, and ML Insights in Real Time (60 minutes) – 9:05am PT | 12:05pm ET | 5:05pm UTC/GMT
- More enterprises are using big data for better business decision making, but existing infrastructure lacks the performance and scale needed to support the growing requirements for real-time analysis and visualization of operational data. Galen Silvestri explains how to use leading tools to visualize your operational data for real-time dashboards and lower the time it takes to generate reports—supporting faster decision making and operational excellence.
- Galen Silvestri (LinkedIn) is a Senior Sales Engineer for GigaSpaces, responsible for aligning its unique In-Memory Data Grid with solutions for Tier 1 Fintech, TeleCom, Transportation, and Retail organizations. He has 10+ years in SA/ SE roles for Machine Learning based Real Time Fintech Fraud Solutions, Real time application Quality of Experience (OoE) Analytics involving millions of concurrent beacons, End to End white label Online Video Platforms (OVP) implementations for major media corporations and educational organizations (involving multi platform app development, CDNs, DRM, licensing & marketing management, transcoding, transcription, ML based media metadata generation, UX analytics and product offering management), streaming adTec, marketing tools, & Learning Management Systems. Galen also has a background in Anthropology, Marketing, Family Therapy and Industrial Psychology, and coding. His experience converges via a passion for aligning system integrations for both human and tech stack participants/components towards interoperability at a holistic level, balanced with maintaining best practices & unique workflow at an individual level. He is currently based out of Brooklyn, and in pre-Covid times enjoyed traveling, snowboarding, hosting dinner parties, and supporting small jazz venues . He is also a recovering vegetarian –feel free to ask him what that means.
- Break (5 minutes)
Jennifer Fraser and Scott Plewes: Stop Chasing Shadows—Formally Bring Context into Data Analytics (60 minutes) – 10:10am PT | 1:10pm ET | 6:10pm UTC/GMT
- Understanding context is critical to effectively utilizing data analytics (and data science in general), but it’s not typically formally defined and applied. Applying context brings data “outside” of the data analysis you’ve done, helping you extract deeper understanding and gather more insights relating to the problem you’re trying to solve. Jennifer Fraser and Scott Plewes show you how to make this application more formal to augment the value of data analytics.
- Jennifer Fraser is the director of user experience at design and development consultancy Macadamian. In her almost 20 years as a user experience designer, she’s had the opportunity to work with a variety of clients, from large institutions to small startups, in domains including healthcare, aviation, and finance. Scott Plewes is vice president of UX analytics at Macadamian. Over the past 25 years, he’s worked in the areas of business strategy, product design, and development in the high-tech sector, for clients in industries such as aviation, telecom, and finance. For the last several years, he’s primarily focused on healthcare.
Sponsored session, details to follow (30 minutes) – 11:10am PT | 2:10pm ET | 7:10pm UTC/GMT
- Break (5 minutes)
Alistair Croll: Lean Analytics, Data, and Critical Thinking (90 minutes) – 11:45pm PT | 2:45pm ET | 7:45pm UTC/GMT
- Whether you’re launching a startup, running a huge organization, or just trying to make sense of the world around you, data and analytics have never been more important. Neither have the risks of bad data, biases, and disinformation.
- Alistair Croll, author of the best-selling Lean Analytics, shows you how to apply critical thinking to data science. From design and data collection to storage and visualization, you’ll learn how to avoid the most common pitfalls and make better decisions faster as you cover the Lean Analytics framework, the cycle of collection, analysis, and presentation, and more. Whether you’re working directly with data, managing analytical teams, or running an organization that relies on data science, you’ll get the tools you need to make informed decisions you can build on.
Michelle Smith and Alistair Croll: Closing Remarks (5 minutes) – 1:15pm PT | 4:15pm ET | 9:15pm UTC/GMT
What you’ll learn-and how you can apply it
- Learn how to better visualize your operational data and generate reports faster
- Make understanding context a formal component of your data analysis
- How to apply critical thinking to data science everywhere from design and data collection to storage and visualization
This Superstream is for you because…
- You want to explore the latest in data analytics for better business decision making.
- You want to become a data advocate for your organization through the power of data visualization.
- You’re a developer or data engineer who wants to learn BI techniques for real-time analysis and the visualization of operational data.
- You’re a data scientist or business analyst who wants to learn best practices for uncovering contextual data.
- Come with your questions
- Have a pen and paper handy to capture notes, insights, and inspiration