As we are reaching the last mile of GigaSpaces XAP R7.0 release schedule, I’d like to share with you our short term plans for the release. Last Monday, we released R7.0 M8. This is the last milestone before a first release candidate coming in two weeks. M8 contains all the features that are going to be included in R7.0 (if we’re lucky, we may be able to squeeze in few more), but in general you can consider M8 as the ‘Feature Complete’ release.
The plan is to release by the end of June. We are planning to get R7.0-rc1 in two weeks, couple of weeks later R7.0-rc2, and R7.0 GA will come out by the end of June.
As always, quality is our number one priority. When it comes to the holy triangle of content, quality and schedule – I’ll always favor quality. This is in fact one of the reasons we develop using scrum and for the early access program our product is being released by. As noted before, this methodology enables us to get feedback very early in the release cycle, and enables us to get this feedback into the product while it’s in the making.
I’d like to encourage all of GigaSpaces developers to take advantage of early access program, and check out M8. There are some very cool features, that I’m sure you’ll like. We’re interested in anything that you have to say about the release:
- Bugs which may slipped through the cracks
- Improvements to new feature you’d like us to consider
- And basically just about anything you’d like us to know about your experience with the product
Yes, I know, the marketing team told me already, that I have to sell you the release in exchange for the feedback. There is a lot to say about R7.0 in a nutshell R7.0 M8 contains:
- Whole new improved management user interface (gs-ui)
- Performance, scalability and memory footprint improvements in just about anywhere you go in the product
- Super fast local cache – about 40 times faster than in previous release. Check out the readById API you’ll see.
- GigaSpaces XAP complete domain model with Admin API for automation, monitoring and control
- Concurrent EDS – less load on the database, fast DB access and load
- Less jars to link to – new lib directory with simpler structure
Comments are welcome at GigaSpaces XAP forum, or you can send it directly to feedback7.0 AT gigaspaces DOT com
Thanks for the cooperation